List of Major Technical work
I have worked 35 years in Vikram Sarabhai Space Center (VSSC), ISRO and Defence Research and Development laboratory (DRDL), DRDO on various practical aerodynamic and propulsion problems related to sounding rockets, satellite launch vehicles, strategic and tactical missiles. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) was used as a tool in solving these design problems. I have used both commercial and indigenous CFD codes for providing reliable data to the designer and contributed very significantly in reducing the developmental cost and time of the mission. Indigenous CFD codes were developed and commercial CFD codes were validated extensively before using them in design exercises. Some important technical contributions are highlighted below.
Contribution in VSSC
A1. Aerodynamic Simulation of Heat Shield Separation Test on Ground
A2. Development of comprehensive flow analysis code for air intakes and propulsive nozzles
A3. Development of empirical tool for estimation of plume boundary and base flows for multijet launch vehicles
A4. Analytical procedure of rocket plume boundary in the presence of co-flowing supersonic stream
A5. Numerical simulation of base flow in presence of propulsive jets.
A6. Numerical simulation of Dual Mode RamJet (DMRJ) combustor
A7. Simulation of Ejector Ramjet combustor flowfield.
A8. Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) of reacting and nonreacting high speed mixing layers.
Contribution in DRDL
My major responsibilities in DRDL are to provide aerodynamic and propulsive design data for the ongoing and future DRDO missile using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) tools. The most important contribution I have made at DRDL is to move the CFD from being a fashionable academic research tool to a useful design tool for aerodynamic and propulsive characterization of DRDO missile.An internal CFD group (Computational Combustion Dynamics (CCD) Division) was established in DRDL for numerical simulation of reacting and nonreacting turbulent flows for propulsive characterization of various ongoing and future missile projects of DRDO.The use of advanced numerical tools has reduced the dependence on the experiments in wind tunnel and other propulsion test facilities and resulted in significant reduction in developmental cost and time. Accomplishing these has needed the development of indigenous state-of-the-art CFD codes as well as the use of commercial CFD codes both of which needing periodic upgradation and validation. Because of the demonstration of usefulness of this important tool, the demand for CFD simulation is increasing even among hard core development groups who seem to want quick answers. In a few cases that I have known, the system developers are using CFD results to take stand-alone design decision without testing. I am guiding and working along with a team of 15 scientists to accomplish these tasks. My major contributions in the above period include:
B1. Tip to Tail simulation of Hypersonic Airbreathing vehicle
B2. Design and Analysis of Scramjet combustor of Hypersonic Airbreathing vehicle:
B3. Supersonic / Hypersonic Air Intake analysis for ramjet and scramjet applications
B4. Hypersonic Propulsion for long duration flight
B5. Evaluation of Lateral Aerodynamic Characteristics of air to air missiles
B6. Aerodynamic characteristics helicopter launched missile with two side jets:
B7. Estimation of Captive Load for air to air missiles mounted on fighter aircraft.
B8. Separation Dynamics of air to air missiles from fighter aircraft.
B9 Integration of missile plume with separation dynamics suite
B10. Fairing Separation studies of HSTDV Launch Vehicle
B11. Characterization of Jet Vane Thrust Vector Control (TVC) Flow field
B12. CFD Simulation for Base Flow Analysis
B13. Numerical Analysis of Ship based Vertical Hot Launcher (VHL)
B 14. Kinetic Heating Analysis of missiles
B 15. End to End simulation of new generation liquid fuelled and solid fuelled air breathing missiles
B16. Simulation of RCS thruster plume and free stream interaction for Air Defence mission:
B17. Design of Supersonic Exhaust Diffuser (SED) for testing high altitude rocket motors.
B18. Development of Indigenous Large Eddy Simulation (LES) code for compressible turbulence
B19. Prediction methodologies for Combustion instability in Solid Rocket Motor
B20. Model Free Simulations for Compressible Mixing Layer
B 21 Estimation of grain boundary evaluation of solid rocket motor port.
B 22 Steady/Unsteady simulation of solid Rocket motor port flow field.
B 23 Estimation of Erosive burning of Solid Rocket Motor.
B24. Plume interaction analysis with jet deflector
B25. Plume interaction with canister wall
B26. Simulation of Stage Jettisoning Flow Field
B27. Simulation of Installed Air Intake Flow Field
B28. Conversion of indigenous CFD codes from MPI to CUDA for GPGPU platforms
B 29. Nose cap separation of Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo (SMART)
B 30 Development of Indigenous RANS solver for Aero-propulsive characterization of Aerospace vehicles
B 31 Simulation of DMSJ combustor flow field in wider Mach number range
B 32 Simulation of Dual Combustion Ramjet (DCR) Engine flow field
B 33 Simulation of Hypersonic Airbreathing vehicle flow field in free-jet flow condition
B 34 New Software development
- Elected as Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) with effect from 2014.
- Elected as Fellow of Aeronautical Society of India with effect from 2014.
- Elected as Fellow of Institute of Engineers (India) with effect from 2014.
- Elected as Fellow of Telengana Academy of Science, 2019.
- Elected as Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and Engineering 2020.
- DRDO Scientist of the year award 2012.
- DRDO award for Best innovation/futuristic Development, 2010
- Technology Group award (Group leader) of DRDL for 2008.
- Awarded AICTE-INAE Distinguished Visiting Professorship at Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore during 2007-2009.
- Awarded Aerospace Engineering Division subject prize by Institute of Engineers (India) for the year 2006-2007, 2012-2013, 2017-2018
- The paper “Numerical simulation of scramjet combustor flow field” was awarded the Second Best paper in the technical session of 54th AGM of Aeronautical Society of India.
- Sri S.R. Bando Gold Medal for securing the highest aggregate marks among all the courses of Master of Sciece Examination (Jadavpur University) in 1983.
- Sri D. R. Dutta Gold Medal for securing the highest aggregate marks among all the courses of Master of Sciece Examination (Jadavpur University) in 1983.
- Sri Sudhangshu Kumar Banerjee Gold Medal for securing the highest aggregate marks of Post Graduate Examination in Mathematics (Jadavpur University) in 1983.
- Jadavpur University Medal for standing First in order of merit in Mathematics at Master of Science Examination, 1983.
Areas of Interest:
Aerodyamics, Propulsion, Combustion, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Turbulence and Combustion
Modeling, Numerical Methods, Mathematical modeling ofTurbulent, Reacting and transient flows, System Engineering.
Membership of professional bodies:
- Fellow of Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Fellow of Aeronautical Society of India (F-806)
- Fellow of Institute of Engineers (F-1193453)
- Fellow of Telangana Academy of Science.
- Fellow of West Bengal Academy of Science and Engineering
- Life member of Astronautical Society of India
- Life member of Combustion Institute
- Life member of High Energy Material Society of India
- Life member of Society for Shock Wave Research